“Mommy, they are just like me.”
My oldest son is six years old and in love for the first time. He is in love with Blaine from Glee.
For those who don’t know Blaine is a boy…a gay boy, the boyfriend of one of the main characters, Kurt.
This isn’t a ‘he thinks Blaine is really cool’ kind of love. It is a mooning at a picture of Blaine’s face for a half hour followed by a wistful “He’s so pretty” kind of love.
He loves the episode where two boys kiss. My son will call people in from other parts of the house to make sure they don’t miss his ‘favorite part.’ He’s been known to rewind it and watch it over again…and force other to, as well, if he doesn’t think people have been paying enough attention.
This infatuation doesn’t bother me or his father. We live in a very hip-liberal neighborhood, many of our friends are gay, and idea of having a gay son isn’t something that bothers either of us. Our son is going to be who he is, and it is our job to love him. End of story.
He is also six. Six year olds get obsessed with all kinds of things. This might not mean anything at all. We always joke that he’s either gay, or we have the best blackmail material in the history of mankind when he’s a 16 year old straight boy. (Take that naked bath time pictures!)
Then the other day we were traveling across the state listening to the Warblers album (of course), and in the middle of Candles, my son pipes up from the back seat.
“Mommy, Kurt and Blaine are boyfriends.”
“Yes, they are,” I affirm.
“They don’t like kissing girls. They just kiss boys.”
“Mommy, they are just like me.”
“That’s great, baby. You know I love you no matter what?”
“I know…” I could hear him rolling his eyes at me.
When we got home I recapped this conversation to his Dad, and we stood simply looking into each other’s eyes for a moment. Then we smiled.
“So if at 16 he wants to make a big announcement at the dinner table, we can say ‘You told us when you were six. Pass the carrots’ and he’ll be disappointed we stole his big dramatic moment,” my husband says with a laugh and hugs me.
Only time will tell if my son is gay, but if he is I am glad he’s mine. I am glad he has been born into our family. A family full of people who will love and accept him. People who will never want him to change. With parents who will look forward to dancing at his wedding.
And I have to admit, Blaine would be a really cute son-in-law.
- colourlessseahorse likes this
- fallacychan likes this
- aureushelianthus reblogged this from sasunaruxnarusasu
- testosterone-tea reblogged this from anamelesstraveler
- kr-studios reblogged this from frstdlmncwd
- kr-studios likes this
- narcissa-bellefleur likes this
- frstdlmncwd reblogged this from fifty-shadesofgay
- unusualisbeautifulxo reblogged this from melcorrea88
- melcorrea88 reblogged this from hakuna-matata--no-worries
- boomboxsprite reblogged this from moodacowz
- helena-handbaskette likes this
- gnihtyrevekcuf likes this
- stephanieslife likes this
- stephanieslife reblogged this from anamelesstraveler
- brookespice likes this
- moodacowz reblogged this from dezzidance
- dakotalikesgirlz reblogged this from dysphoricposts
- dezzidance reblogged this from moondancer22
- demkaekaterinabelikov likes this
- demkaekaterinabelikov reblogged this from moondancer22
- something-something-fandoms reblogged this from something-quite-clever
- something-quite-clever reblogged this from scottishplay-inyourpants
- thatprivilegedprep likes this
- thatprivilegedprep reblogged this from iwearjeanvaljeans
- heysarahsarah likes this
- orangedweeb likes this
- vinegarandhorseradishyum reblogged this from deaththekid80801
- vinegarandhorseradishyum likes this
- ponds-in-221b reblogged this from scottishplay-inyourpants
- nerodances likes this
- sasunaru4lyf likes this
- anamelesstraveler reblogged this from bowlegsandtrenchcoats
- la-cajita-verde-limon likes this
- bowlegsandtrenchcoats reblogged this from sasunaruxnarusasu
- narutolove likes this
- allwasneverwell likes this
- c-4shby likes this
- quietgrrrrl reblogged this from malignantxx
- kaylavonsanity reblogged this from sasunaruxnarusasu
- adlinna likes this
- scottishplay-inyourpants reblogged this from sasunaruxnarusasu
- sasunaruxnarusasu reblogged this from deaththekid80801
- shorttsttack reblogged this from malignantxx and added:
- malignantxx reblogged this from curseofthecatpeople
- caveinimicium reblogged this from castielwatsonwinchester
- deaththekid80801 reblogged this from nerd-are-i
- deaththekid80801 likes this
- castielwatsonwinchester reblogged this from qwerty1470
- pleasepickpeace reblogged this from iliveinthewater